The Gulkana River is popular with both visiting fishermen and locals as a beautiful, peaceful float and a chance to catch Salmon, as well as trout and grayling. Black bear are sometimes spotted up on bluffs overlooking the river and you will undoubtedly see a variety of waterfowl and the many bald eagles that inhabit the area.
Fishing season on the Gulkana for Sockeye (Red) salmon is throughout the summer months, their strongest runs being June to late July. King Salmon Season on the Gulkana for 2015 is from June 1-July 19. Please know that the king season can change from week to week during the summer, based on fish counts downstream and regulations. Fishing for king salmon requires an extra stamp on your fishing license.
Scenic Full Day:
- These trips are around 8 hours start to finish, usually running from Poplar Grove back to Gakona, and include lunch.
Fishing Full Day:
- 7-8 hour trip from Gakona to the Gulkana Bridge on the Richardson Highway, including lunch.
Fishing Half Day:
- This 4-hour trip is located on the lower section of the Gulkana River, and provides some great fishing opportunities. Lunch not included in price, but can be added on at customer’s request.
*Overnight trips are available-please contact us to plan your custom trip!
- Raft Rental: $150 w/ shuttle (Gulkana only)
- Fishing Gear: $25/day/person
- Paxson-Sourdough: $75/driver
- Gulkana-Sailor’s-bridge: $40
*Fish License Vendor-contact us for more information
What to bring:
- Rain Jacket
- Rain Pants
- Warm Clothes
- Bug Spray
- Sun Screen
- Hat and/or Sunglasses
- Fishing license (if applicable)
What we provide:
- PFDs (lifejacket)
- Fishing Rods (if applicable)
- Tackle (if applicable)
- Hip Boots/Waders (if applicable)